Every year the Times Educational Supplement, or TES, produces rankings for the best universities, both in the UK and around the world. It is regarded as one of the world’s most reliable ranking systems, and is audited independently by PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC).
The methodology includes:
- Teaching (the learning environment)
- Research (volume, income and reputation)
- Citations (research influence);
- International outlook (staff, students and research)
- Industry income (knowledge transfer)
The South of England dominates the list, with all of the top five institutions coming from that region.